Posts Tagged ‘Internet Exploder’

Testing Webpages in Multiple Versions of Internet Explorer

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008

If you have done any xhtml / css, I’m sure you have experienced the joy of making the site look the same in all browsers. Typically went implementing a site, I will first develop it in FireFox to get the general layout correct, then test in Safari, Chrome, and the dreaded multiple versions of Internet Explorer. Recently, a colleague of mine pointed me in the direction of a tool called IETester.

(more…)

Virtual Server Setup

Saturday, June 28th, 2008

Recently, I needed a clean environment to do some development for a project at work. The OS (ubuntu) I have installed on my development computer wasn’t the same as what the application was originally developed and deployed in (red hat) and this was causing a few issues. I debated bringing up a slicehost slice solely for coding and testing, but this seemed like a hassle, as well as an extra expense.

Enter virtualization. There are a number of options to create a virtual computer on your host system. The most popular hypervisors are VMware and Xen. What these programs will let you do is create a completely separate installation of an operating system inside your current one. This let me create the clean environment I needed for this project.

(more…)

Internet Explorer and Ajax

Tuesday, June 17th, 2008

Okay, I just wasted waaaay too much time trying to track down an apparently odd Internet Explorer redraw issue. The problem was an ajax call associated with the onchange of a checkbox form element. In Firefox this worked perfectly. Click the button, the div updates itself. However, in IE 6 and 7 it would just sit there and do nothing until you would force a redraw (ctrl +a seemed to do it), or scrolled the page up & down a few times.

It turns out, this was because of the way IE handles the onchange javascript event. This only fires once the checkbox loses focus. To fix this, I just switched from the onchange event to the onclick event and everything works as expected. I’ll retract some (okay, just one) of my nasty comments about Internet Explorer now as this does make logical sense thinking about it now.

So the offending code looked like

<input type="checkbox" name="mycheckbox" value="something" onchange="update_div();">click me

whereas it should be:

<input type="checkbox" name="mycheckbox" value="something" onclick="update_div();">click me